Americans are notorious for setting New Year’s resolutions that they never end up keeping. In fact, according to a study by the University of Scranton, only 8% of people achieve their New Year’s resolutions. So, what’s the secret to setting goals that you can actually achieve? It’s not as difficult as you might think. All you need is a little planning and organization.
Setting long term goals are so important when wanting to make big moves in your business and life. The other great thing about setting goals and creating action plans for those goals is that it inadvertently creates a more organized and balanced life for you. Once you start planning long term you create short term schedules and plans. It is such a good tool to help bring some order to the chaos life can bring.
In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make your goals achievable, some tips on what to do if you find yourself veering off course, and a FREE Goal Planner Printable! You can get the free download by click the button or image below. And keep reading for the step by step guide to making your goals achievable!
How to Make Your Goals Achievable: A Step-by-Step Guide
Step 1: Make Only Realistic and Achievable Goals
The first step to achieving your goals is to make sure that they are realistic and achievable. Many people set goals that are impossible to reach, which can lead to frustration and discouragement. When setting your goals, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is this goal something that I really want?
- Is this goal realistic given my current circumstances?
- Do I have the resources and support I need to achieve this goal?
- Is this goal specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound?
If you can answer “yes” to all of these questions, then you have a realistic and achievable goal!
Step 2: Develop a Plan of Action
Now that you have set your goals, it’s time to develop a plan of action. This will help you stay organized and on track. Your plan of action should include the following steps:
- Identify the resources you need to achieve your goal
- Create a task list for your goal
- Delegate tasks to other people if necessary
- Set Priority for each task so you know what needs to be done first
- Identify any potential obstacles
Remember you can use WCE’s Free Goal Planner for your Plan of Action!
Step 3: Stay organized and on Track.
If you don’t stay organized and on track you won’t be able to achieve your goals in timely manner. Since staying on track can be difficult, especially if you have a lot of goals here are some tips to help you:
- Keep your Goals Planner in an accessible spot you see everyday
- Make sure to add the tasks from your Goals Planner when creating your daily and weekly plans
- Don’t forget to schedule time for your personal life and hobbies – Otherwise you will burn out before you can achieve your goal
- Focus on one task at a time
- Stick to the deadlines that you set for yourself
- And most importantly, Don’t forget to track your progress!
Step 4: Celebrate Your Successes!
Last but not least, don’t forget to celebrate your successes! Tracking your progress will help you identify your successes and this will help you stay motivated and on track. Once you’ve hit a milestone treating yourself to a new book, movie, or piece of clothing. Planning a special dinner or night out with friends or family. If you’ve hit a big milestone take a trip or vacation. Give yourself the praise you deserve for creating, sticking with, and achieving your goals!
We are confident that if you stick with steps and use the Goal Planner you will be well on your way to achieving your goals. Just remember to be realistic, stay organized, and celebrate your successes!
If you found this helpful please check out more of WCE’s Small Business Resources, WCE’s Upcoming Events, and don’t forget to join WCE’s Private Facebook Group to find your community of fellow women entrepreneurs.
You can also become a member of WCE and get access to all of our downloads and resources instantly, along with free networking & masterminds events, and discounts on workshops and on-demand education. You can learn more by clicking the button below:
And if you haven’t subscribed to our blog yet make sure to do so now so you don’t miss any of our upcoming articles!